WHAT INSPIRED THE CREATION OF THE CALENDARS 28 YEARS AGO . . .
It has been a quick 29 years sharing settings I've loved enough to recreate with paint on canvas and feature in these special date-keepers. I began designing them at Christmastime 1994 when my sis Marilee shared, "We have no more wall space! Instead of giving us prints, why don't you design a calendar with lots of pictures that we can enjoy all year long?"
The first issue featured the Codd House on the cover (image right) ~ a Dutch-Colonial built in 1925. It was my favorite home growing up in Spokane, WA. I've painted it five times. The cover showed the Simpson family(only 5 of 6 of us kids then) decorating the house with lights. I painted my dad Joe on the ladder while Sally Mom kept the lights from tangling ~ a huge frustration for him. My dad passed away in 1988 before I finished this art, so it brought tears to my mom's eyes when I gave her this painting for Christmas that year. Memories . . .
In 1994, Kinkos (later absorbed by Fed Ex) Store Manager Scott Woodward printed a dozen copies at his Seattle Northgate Mall Store. These days, Rita McIntyre at Berreth-Thomas in the Spokane Valley runs hundreds of them in multiple editions ~ three different ones doe 2023. Each year, I not only receive orders from folks who live here, but others who grew up in our community, but moved to far away destinations in the U.S.A. and beyond.
ENTIRE LIST OF CALENDARS BELOW ~ The calendars have come a long way since 1994. Find a pdf with the entire list of past titles plus a handful of past covers further down on this page under "A Quarter-Plus Century of Calendars."
3 NEW 2023 CALENDARS ~ Click on the three 2023 Calendar Cover images below OR the corresponding "Bold Red Titles" to link you to three 7-page Overviews (pdf format). NOTE ~ My website is featuring the FALL INTO WINTERcollection, so these images honor the current seasons!
- PAGE 1-4 • SEASONAL COVERS ~ The first four pages of this pdf shares covers for each season ~ SPRING INTO SUMMER and FALL INTO WINTER (+ Holiday).
- PAGE 2 • "THUMBNAIL" IMAGES ~ This page (the back of the calendar) shares small "thumbnails" of the images for each of the 12 months.
- PAGE 3 • ARTIST BIO / CREDENTIALS + MORE IMAGES OF THE SAME THEME ~ You'll find "thumbnails" of more art of each calendar's theme.This page also shares a short synopsis of my life story, credentials and accomplishments. (For a very comprehensive overview of all of these, visit my Biography page.)
AVAILABLE! OVERVIEW #1 ~ 2023 "WASHINGTON WHIMSIES (Gazebos, Pergolas, Windmills, and More)" ~ 2 NEW Paintings
FALL INTO WINTER COVER ~ "The Crescent at Christmastime" • This cover is a favorite, showing our family and other kids gazing in delight at the animated elves and revolving sweet treats in the Crescent Department Store's window. This magical experience always took place after family photos with Santa • Painted July 2009
- 12+ SETTINGS ~ These include 12 fanciful settings in WA State ~ gazebos, pergolas, windmills, and more ~ plus "thumbnail" images of additional related subjects inside on the "Bio / Credentials" page.
- 4 COVERS ~
- SPRING • "Lemonade & Loriens at the Perry Street Windmill"
- NEW! SUMMER • "Gathering at the Fox Park Gazebo"
- NEW! AUTUMN • "Campbell Family Garden Gazebo""
- WINTER / HOLIDAY •"THE CRESCENT AT CHRISTMASTIME" (Pictured here)
- 12 PAINTINGS ~
- FEBRUARY (Manito Park, The South Hill, Spokane) ~ "Snowfall at the Basaltic Rock Bridge" (2020) My.SpokaneCity.org and TheFriendsOfManito.org
- MARCH (Perry District, The South Hill, Spokane) ~ "Lemonade & Loriens at the Perry Street Windmill" (2020) ~ LorienHerbs.com
- APRIL (Issaquahl) ~ "The Liepin's Spring Garden Gazebo" (1999)
- MAY (Manito Park, The South Hill, Spokane) ~ "Romantic Rose Hill (Erna Bert Nelson's Pergola)" (2018) My.SpokaneCity.org and TheFriendsOfManito.org
- NEW! JUNE (Moran Prairie, The South Hill, Spokane) ~ "Gathering at Fox Park Gazebo" (2022)
- JULY (Deer Harbor, Orcas Island) ~ "Scotts Dream Day at Deer Harbor" (2014)
- AUGUST (Roche Harbor, San Juan Island) ~ "Afternoon at Afterglow Vista" (2013) ~ RocheHarbor.com
- NEW! SEPTEMBER (Browne's Addition, Spokane) ~ "The Campbell Family's Garden Gazebo" (2021) NorthwestMuseum.org
- OCTOBER (Redmond) ~ "Ring Around the Marymoor Windmill" (1998) KingCounty.gov
- NOVEMBER (Pioneer Square, The Downtown District, Seattle) ~ "Pioneer Square Pergola" (1997) PioneerSquare.org
- DECEMBER (The Downtown District, Spokane) ~ "The Crescent Window at Christmastime" (2009)
AVAILABLE! OVERVIEW #2 ~ SPOKANE'S MAGICAL MANITO PARK" ~ 1 NEW Painting
FALL INTO WINTER COVER ~ "Fun & Frolic at the Manito Fireplace" • This cover pictures Mirror Lake (known as Manito Pond when we were kids) ~ a favorite place for strapping on our skates once the pond froze each Winter. In the 1950s-60s, fellows from the fire station a block away on Bernard Street, not only groomed the pond for skaters, but kept a kettle of hot chocolate bubbling in this fireplace • Painted November 2006.
NOTE ~ MANITO WEBSITES ~ My.SpokaneCity.org and TheFriendsOfManito.org
- 12+ SETTINGS ~ These images include a dozen Manito Park paintings in all four seasons ~ plus "thumbnail" images of other beloved Spokane parks inside on the "Bio / Credentials" page.
- 4 COVERS ~
- NEW! SPRING • "Spring Photos at the Lovely Lilac Garden"
- SUMMER "Picnicking at the Park Bench Café"
- AUTUMN" • "Autumn Splendor at the Japanese"
- WINTER / HOLIDAY • "FUN & FROLIC AT THE MANITO FIREPLACE" (pictured here)
- 12 PAINTINGS ~
- JANUARY ~ "Fun & Frolic at the Manito Fireplace" (2006)
- FEBRUARY ~ "Sledding on the South Hill" (2013)
- MARCH ~ "Swans at Mirror Lake (Manito's Duck Pond"
- NEW! APRIL ~ "Spring Photos in the Lovely Lilac Garden" (2022)
- MAY~ "Picnicking at the Park Bench Café (2020)
- JUNE ~ "Romantic Rose Hill (Erna Bert Nelson's Pergola" (2018)
- JULY ~ "The Splash Pad in Summer" (2020)
- "AUGUST ~ "Davenport Fountain at Duncan Garden" (2015) )
- SEPTEMBER ~ "Afternoon at the Admin. Building (Headhouse)" (2019)
- OCTOBER ~ "Autumn Splendor at the Japanese Garden" (2020)
- NOVEMBER ~ "Snowfall at the Basaltic Rock Bridge" (2020)
- DECEMBER ~ "Lights A-Glow at the Gaiser Conservatory" (2019)
AVAILABLE! OVERVIEW #3 ~ 2023 "KIRTLAND K. CUTTER'S PACIFIC NORTHWEST LEGACY" ~ 1 NEW Painting
FALL INTO WINTER COVER ~ "Flying South Over Spokane Falls (Monroe Street Bridge)" • This is a truly iconic view of Spokane for everyone who not only lives here, but visits as well. The Spokane River had a number of bridges built to span it, but this by far is the most handsome one, decorated with Kirtland Cutter's sculptures of bison heads, reminding all that this area was once the wild western frontier • Painted September 2004
- 12+ SETTINGS ~ A dozen Kirtland Kelsey Cutter architectual settings throughout the Pacific Northwest ~ plus more "thumbnail" images of Cutter's fine work inside on the "Bio / Credentials" page.
- 4 COVERS ~
- NEW! SPRING • "Beautiful Vintage Chancery Building"
- SUMMER • "Historic Hayden Lake C.C. Clubhouse"
- AUTUMN • "FLYING SOUTH OVER SPOKANE FALLS (Monroe Street Bridge)" (pictured here)
- WINTER / HOLIDAY • "Christmas at the Campbell House (Part of The MAC)"
- 12 PAINTINGS ~
- JANUARY (The Downtown District, Spokane, WA) ~ "Flying South Over Spokane Falls" (2004)
- FEBRUARY (The Downtown District, Spokane, WA) ~ "The Historic Steam Plant" (2016) ~ SteamPlantsSpokane.com
- MARCH (The Lower South Hill, Spokane, WA) ~ "Historic Chalet Hohenstein" (2004)
- APRIL (American Lake, Tacoma, WA) ~ "Enchanting English Thornewood Castlel" (2014) ~ ThornewoodCastle.com)
- MAY (The North Side, Spokane, WA) ~ "Bozarth Mansion in Bloom" (2010) ~ Gonzaga.Edu
- NEW! JUNE (The Downtown District, Spokane, WA) ~ "Beautiful Vintage Chancery Building" (2022) ~ StAlsSchool.org
- JULY (Hayden Lake, ID) ~ "Historic Hayden Lake C.C. Clubhouse (Old Bozanta Tavern)" (2019) HaydenLakeCC.com
- AUGUST (Shoreline, Seattle, WA) ~ "Celebrating at the Seattle Golf Club" (2010) ~ SeattleGolfClub.com
- SEPTEMBER (The Lower South Hill, Spokane, WA) ~ "Gathering at the Glover Mansion" (2013) ~ TheDavenportHotel.com
- OCTOBER (The Lower South Hill, Sokane, WA) ~ "Autumn at Art in Bloom (D.C. Corbin Mansion, now the Corbin Art Center)" (2017) ~ My.SpokaneCity.org
- NOVEMBER (The Downtown District, Spokane, WA) ~ "Dallying at The Davenport" (2008) ~ TheDavenportHotel.com
- DECEMBER (Browne's Addition, Spokane, WA) "Christmas at the Campbell House" (2011) ~ NorthwestMuseum.org
Click here on Past Americana Calendars (1994 to 2023) pdf for a complete list of ALL editions created since I published the first one in 1994. Washington State cities include King County's Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland and other Pierce, Snohomish and San Juan County (Roche Harbor) communities as well. The area most frequently featured is the Inland Northwest. Spokane is my beloved home town ~ and where my husband and I currently make our home on Moran Prairie. This pdf also includes images of several calendar covers featured throughout the decades.
COMING IN 2023! 5TH EDITIONS OF WASHINGTON STATE AND SPOKANE JOURNALS
Fourth Edition Art Journals are SOLD OUT in both the Spokane and Washington State editions, but NEW fifth editions are currently in the design stage. These include:
- 2 COVERS ~ One for each edition
- 44 FULL COLOR IMAGES ~ Perfect
for folks who want more than just a dozencalendar images
- 12 THEMED COLLECTIONS ~ 3images each with a different ones for each month of the year
- DATE-SPECIFIC HOLIDAY ~ These are listed throughout, i.e. Christmas, but not Easter as its date changes annually
- QUOTATIONS TO INSPIRE ~ Find them at the foot of each date page
- NEW! (Introduced in the fourth edition) HISTORICAL PHOTOS / STORIES ~ Also find background stories and images for each painting
- WASHINGTON STATE ~ Each
of the 12 months celebrates a different community or special theme. Images
are from all over Washington State including the Inland
Northwest, Seattle, Bellevue and other Eastside communities, Snohomish, Port Townsend, Islands in the Puget
Sound and other destinations. Many images are NEW.
- SPOKANE, WA~
Each month offers a regional theme such as landmarks (both prestigious and "fun"), schools (grade schools, high schools and Gonzaga University), churches, parks, waterfront getaways. Many of these images are NEW!
AVAILABLE NOW! ~ 4-IMAGE COLLAGE-STYLE JIGSAW PUZZLES
2022 JIGSAW PUZZLES ~ 2 NEW SPOKANE SETTINGS ~ "Four Seasons of Gonzaga University" and "Four Seasons of Historic South Hill Churches" plus rerpints of past favorites. Puzzles titles include:
- NEW! "FOUR SEASONS OF GONZAGA UNIVERSITY"
- "The Historic Huetter House"
- "Daffodils in the Rain at DeSmet Hall"
- "The Bozarth Mansion in Bloom (Gonzaga Retreat House)"
- "Classmates at College Halll"
- NEW! "FOUR SEASONS OF HISTORIC SOUTH HILL CHURCHES"
- WINTER ~ "Merry Carolers at Saint Mark's"
- SPRING ~ "Parishioners at First Presbyterian"
- SUMMER ~ "Sunday Best at Saint Augustine's (Original Church, now Cataldo School)"
- AUTUMN ~ "Autumn at Saint John the Evangelist"
- "FOUR SEASONS OF K.K. CUTTERI"
- WINTER ~ "Flying South Over Spokane Falls (Monroe Street Bridge)"
- SPRING ~ "Spokane's Historic Steam Plant"
- SUMMER ~ "Historic Hayden Lake C.C. Clubhouse (Bozanta Tavern)"
- AUTUMN ~ "Dallying at the Davenport Hotel"
- "FOUR SEASONS OF MANITO PARK I"
- WINTER ~ "Fun and Frolic at the Manito Fireplace"
- SPRING ~ "Romantic Rose Hill (Erna Bert Nelson Pergola)"
- SUMMER ~ "The Davenport Fountain at Duncan Garden"
- AUTUMN ~ "Afternoon at the Manito Administrative Building (Headhouse)"
- "FOUR SEASONS OF MANITO PARK II'"
- WINTER ~ "Lights A-Glow at the Manito Conservatory"
- SPRING ~ "Picnicking at the Park Bench Café"
- SUMMER ~ "The Splash Pad in Summer"
- AUTUMN ~ "Autumn Splendor at the Japanese Garden"
- "CHRISTMAS IN THE INLAND NORTHWEST" (Four Holiday Images)
- "The Crescent Window at Christmastime"
- "The Ice Ribbon at Riverfront Park"
- "Kris Kringle Comes to the Cliff House (Arbor Crest Cellars)"
- "The Looff Christmas Carousel"
Find more information on the Ordering page. NOTE ~ The "Fun 'Landmarks'" puzzle is not available at this time.
BEST WISHES FOR A TIME OF FUN EVENTS TO REMEMBER ALWAYS!
ABOUT THE ARTWORK OR CONTENT?
iPhone ~ 206.406.1409 (Talk, Text & Voicemail)
PittyPat Studio ~ "AMERICANA" FINE ART ~ Please call or text me with your questions. Thank You!
On the Web ~ PattiSimpsonWard.com
Please Visit my Facebook Page "PattiSimpsonWardArt."